Wish list

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Here is a list of possible improvements, ideas, wishes...

• change public class Database to public partial class Database
  • code generator from .dbml, compatible with silverdb (source)
  • sync silverdb with SQL on the server by using WCF service (I can provide code generator for WCF from .dbml)
  • on-the-fly version, instead of saving to Isolated Storage save it in memory (using List<> or something similar) - this way data can be accessbile in one run-time instance and deleted when application closes, for temporary storage

I do not expect this to be done shortly or even created. Any wish that come true is welcome :)

-papnkukn

Coordinator
Jul 23, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Just to make sure I follow all suggestions, I have a few questions / comments.

1. Could you inherit from database instead of having partial class?
  2. As far as on-the-fly version goes, could you just populate the database and never call Save()?  Is there something I am missing?
  3. I am a bit hesitant to provide support for L2S and not EF.  I see EF as the future of data access technology, not L2S.  In general, I think this is a very specific feature, not very general purpose, so it will slide to the bottom of the list I think
  4. I have been thinking about WCF service for a while, and I think once I am done with other pending tasks I have been planning for, this will be the first item on my list.

Thanks again.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:35 AM

Advantage of having a partial class is to have one file for manually written code and another file for automatically generated code. Working with that kind of class is as virtually having a large file with combined partial files. Yes, in the current situation an inherited class should be created.

I agree, Save() method should be ignored for temporary data storage.

I am thinking a lot towards the automatically generated code (aka CustomTool). CustomTool could create entities from .dbml, code for WCF service, etc. Can I as developer join to this project instead of creating a new one?

-papnkukn

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2009 at 12:40 AM

I gave your ideas some more thought.  I will write a WCF service,  but it will not need a code generator.  You will be able to send any database orver the wire no matter what the content is.  This to me is much more versatile solution that having to refenerate a service any time database changes.  I also do not see a generic value in code-generator because it will always be specific to a developer who wrote it.  Having said that, I will encourage you to create another project on CodePlex and share your ideas with other folks.  I see CodePlex is all about sharing your knowledge, and that is why I started my project.

Thank you for all your input.

Cordially,

Sergey.