This project is read-only.

IsolatedStorage not increasing memory size (only 8MB)

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Hye EveryOne,

I m working in Windows Phone 7,

and i have build an Application in which i m using SilverlightPhone Database

In my app, user can create an account where he/she can add name, some basic informations and can add some image or audio recording files as well.

Now when i add, these files and if the size gets more than 8/9 Mb, the App doesn't save the account information and crashes.

And if i again tap on the icon, and starts it again, then it again crashes.

since the Database is created in IsolatedStorage and thus, i tried-

IsolatedStorage.IncreaseQuotaTo(neededStorage);

as said in this- http://blogs.silverlight.net/blogs/msnow/archive/2008/07/17/tip-of-the-day-20-how-to-increase-the-isolated-storage-quota-for-your-app.aspx

(where neededStorage is a long variable and neededStorage =  1024*1024*5;)

It gives System.Exception which says - "An Error Occured While Accessing IsolatedStorage."

Why is it happening..??

Is i m missing something.

Please reply, as its really important.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 3, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Silverlight on Windows Phone does not impose size limits on Isolated Storage, so the 8/9 MB maybe a red herring in this case.  When you say application crashes, do you mean it just closes without an exception, correct?

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:42 AM
Edited Mar 4, 2011 at 8:24 AM

yes...

when i test it on Emulator, it works slow but fine.

but when i test on Device, and if i've added data of 7-8 MB, and then i navigate to a page where i can view a list of added items,

the APP crashes. if i don't navigate to view the list and chose to add  a new account/item, it works fine.

then again, if i go to view the list the App crashes and if it crashed once or twice, it crashes permanently.

Why is it happening...???

even it is doing well if i debug.

but while running the app on Device doesn't work. 

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I think your issue is that your second page (the one you are navigating to) inherits from UserControl instead of PhoneApplicaitonPage. This is known to cause crashes. Could you double-check this please? Also, based on what you are describing I would suggest re-working your large image strategy. BLOBs always require extra care to work with. I would suggest that you store your images in some folder in isolated storage an only save the file name in the database. This will greatly improve performance as you would not have to pull images out until the user chooses to preview it.

I hope this helps.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Edited Mar 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Ok, thanks.

i got that the problem is increase in database size because i m storing images and audios in database. thats why, when the database size increases 6-7MB, it becomes slow and after 14-15MB the application starts for random crashes.  Now i'll try to save all these things in Isolated Storage.

can u please tell me how to store Images and Audio file in Isolated Storage.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Check this article for samples how to store images in ISO.  http://www.silverlight.net/learn/quickstarts/isolatedstorage/

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:41 AM

thanks a lot.